FOUR CHILDREN ARE DEAD AFTER THEIR FAMILY SPRAYED PESTICIDE UNDER THEIR HOME

An absolute tragedy

My father is a huge advocate of living a very clean, organic lifestyle so much so that he refuses to use any kind of chemicals in his house. Everything must be 100 percent organic in everything he eats, the products he uses to clean his house with and heck, even his shampoo and deodorant. He wasn’t always like this but in the last few years he’s made huge lifestyle changes. He even uses organic fertilizer on his lawn! I don’t completely understand it but I get it. He simply doesn’t trust a lot of the ingredients that are used in everyday products and I know a lot of people feel the exact same way.

That’s why a lot of parents are shocked to hear that four children died after one family used a certain mixture of pesticide underneath their home. Was this a preventable accident? Did someone do something illegal? Or was this foul play?

0

Pesticide

According to CNN News four children have died after a family member sprayed water on a previously applied pesticide. It caused a reaction that produced toxic phosphine gas. Another five people were hospitalized after the incident.

1

Children

One child died at the scene and three others died at a hospital. Officials didn’t release any identifying information, including the children’s ages.

2

Illegal?

The father of the children who died told first responders through a Spanish language interpreter that he had spread the pellets under the family’s mobile home after obtaining the product from a friend. The pellets are not available for sale to the general public.

3

Pellets

“He didn’t know enough about the chemical. The chemical is only sold to people that have a license to apply it, and he got this black market,” said Lt. Josh Whitney with the Amarillo Fire department.

4

Toxic Gas

Toxic Phosphine gas is produced when aluminum phosphide is mixed with water or moisture. Aluminum phosphide is a dangerous “restricted-use pesticide,” and it’s used to kill mice, prairie dogs and gophers.

5

Your Thought

The fire department said it’s unclear how long the family was exposed. Talk about an invisible killer. Of course, we don’t know all of the details yet but this is a horrible tragedy no matter how you look at it.

Tell us your thoughts in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your friends so they can be aware of pesticide safety.